Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book #20!


Hello wonderful readers! Hope you're enjoying your Wednesday's. I'm writing this post because I did it! Yesterday I completed my bucket list goal of reading at least twenty books by the end of summer. I started with a Jodi Picoult book (and several in between), so I figured why not end with one? Here's a little summary and some thoughts:

Mercy by Jodi Picoult -

Summary: This book follows police chief Cameron MacDonald who crosses paths with his cousin Jamie Macdonald. Jamie was madly in love with his wife Maggie, but she was terminally ill with cancer so Jamie killed her out of mercy. He came to Cameron for help and understanding, but now Cameron must arrest him and aid the prosecution. As the back of the book states, Cameron's wife Allie is "seduced by the idea of a man so in love with his wife that he'd grant all her wishes, even her wish to end her life." Therefore, she befriends Jamie. Meanwhile, her husband Cameron is having an affair. The book shifts between the lives of these four characters (Cameron, Jamie, Allie, and this woman) and the people who are close to them.

Thoughts: So far, there is not a Jodi Picoult book I haven't in love with including this one. However, the difference about this book is that I really hated two of the characters. I won't say who because I don't want to spoil too much, but it was hard to get through a book in which I was constantly hoping karma would slap those two characters in the face. And in some ways it does for one of the characters, but not nearly enough. Also, I sort of wanted this book to end with that contented feeling that all was right in the world again and I just didn't feel that way. Nonetheless, I couldn't put the book down and it was definitely a satisfying read so I'd still recommend that you check this one out1

A quote from the book: "You know it's never fifty-fifty in a marriage. It's always seventy-thirty, or sixty-forty. Someone falls in love first. Someone puts someone else up on a pedestal. Someone works very hard to keep things rolling smoothly; someone else sails along for the ride."

For your viewing pleasure, the pile of the twenty books I read (p.s. the clutter in the background is some of my dorm stuff)

So hopefully you guys run to the bookstore and pick up Mercy or any of these really :]. And I'm so psyched because we've reached 45 followers! We're almost halfway to our goal of getting 100 followers before introducing a guest blogger. So if you enjoy these posts please feel free to follow this blog at the end of the page or tell your friends about it because I'd love to meet new readers! 

What are some of your favorite books? 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing your summer reading goal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on reading all those books! I want to read Jodi Picoult very soon. I have one of hers in my TBR. I've heard good things about her work. I'm reading On the Island as well very soon.
    I'll follow your blog now too! Thanks for following mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Naida :) But yes, I love Jodi Picoult; glad to hear you're thinking of reading one of her books! And ahh I loved On the Island so I hope you enjoy that one. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Welcome to book blogging and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I love hearing from my readers :]