Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Shakespeare!

streams by paul bica, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  paul bica 

"When you sell a man a book you don't sell him just 12 ounces of paper and ink and glue - you sell him a whole new life." - Christopher Morley

This fall, I'll be taking a Shakespeare class. I've been thinking about my recent posts on classics and how I haven't added any Shakespeare plays, but it's mainly because I've decided that William deserves his own post. I haven't come close to reading all of his plays yet (which is why I'm looking forward to this class), but for now, I'd like to share three favorites with you! I know it might seem a bit dull to return to Shakespeare after reading so many modern authors, but if you haven't read any of these, please take a look :)!


  • Hamlet - I'm sure many of you have read this in school at one point or another, but I had to add Hamlet to the list! If you haven't read this one, please go back because although it's one of Shakespeare's tragedies, I still find Hamlet and some of the other characters hilarious. I first read this play during my senior year of high school, then two semesters ago in a British literature course. I find the little quirks in this play (such as the play within a play, the scene where Claudius is praying, and Polonius constantly spying on his son) adorable. The play begins with Hamlet pining over the death of his father and his mother's marriage to Hamlet's uncle Claudius. When Hamlet's father returns to Hamlet in the form of a ghost and tells Hamlet he was murdered by Claudius, Hamlet spends the rest of the play trying to get revenge, faking insanity, and trying to get Claudius to confess to the murder. A quote from Hamlet: "This above all; to thine own self be true." 
  • Taming of the Shrew - If you have seen the movie 10 Things I Hate About You, you're watching a modern version of this play, which the film bases its plot on. I read this play for my theatre class freshman year, then watched an excellent production of the play on video. I'm bummed I can't remember who the performers were because they did an awesome job. The plot involves the beautiful, calm Bianca who has plenty of suitors and her sister Katharina who has none. Bianca's father tells her she cannot get married until her shrewish sister Katharina is married. Bianca's suitors pay Petruchio to suit Katharina. He brings her back to his home and tries to tame her. At a banquet Katharina shows that she is the most obedient wife. A quote from The Taming of the Shrew: "There's small choice in rotten apples." 
  • Twelfth Night - My theatre group put this play on at my school this year and I was the publicity chair for the play. I also read this for my British literature class. Like Taming of the Shrew, this is another one of Shakespeare's comedies and definitely gave me some good laughs (especially when I saw it performed). A woman named Viola decides to cross dress and use the name Cesario so she can get closer to and serve Duke Orsino who is in love with Olivia. Viola falls in love with Duke Orsino. Everyone is confused when Viola's twin brother Sebastian arrives. Sir Toby Belch, the fool, and Malvolio are three other hilarious characters who live in Olivia's household. This one definitely has a feel good ending (except maybe for Malvolio). A quote from Twelfth Night: "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage." 

Have a wonderful day my lovely readers :). If you enjoy reading some of these posts, please feel free to subscribe to the blog by following it at the end of the page or tell some friends to! Once we reach 100 followers I'd love to get a guest blogger on here. Happy reading! 

casa loma - ir by paul bica, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  paul bica 

4 comments:

  1. Hamlet owns my heart.

    I remember reading it my senior year of high school and loving it while most the people in my English class were complaining about Hamlet being depressing.

    And that, "to be or not to be" speech still gets me every time. Such brilliant writing. I totally fangirl over it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And wait a minute, did they base the movie "She's the Man" with Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum after Twelfth Night? How did I not see that before. Whoaa. I'm having an A-ha moment LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha same here about Hamlet; it's such a great play, but I guess I can see how people would find it depressing lol. And ahh you're right! I just looked it up and it is based off the play! I just had an A-ha moment as well lol

      Delete
  3. I didn't read Hamlet in school, but I did read Taming of the Shrew in 10th grade, and Macbeth in 12th. I also went to the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland Oregon my senior year which was a blast. I think we saw 4 different plays, but I can only remember seeing Antony and Cleopatra.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I love hearing from my readers :]