Saturday, July 21, 2012

Two Great Reads


Happy Saturday readers! I hope you're taking advantage of the weekend and either relaxing, heading to the beach/pool, or catching up with friends. I'd like to share two other books I really enjoyed that I read fairly recently:

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult - I read this one over my spring break and really liked it. Daniel Stone grew up as the only white boy in an Alaskan village. Because of his isolation, he turned to drinking and stealing. Eventually he meets a girl, falls in love, and gets her pregnant. Years later he is a reformed man and father as well as a comic book artist. His wife teaches Dante's Inferno at her college and in a sense, The Tenth Circle reflects Dante's struggles through the nine circles of hell. Mainly, the book focuses on Daniel's teenage daughter Trixie, who accuses her ex-boyfriend of raping her. The end of the book is definitely a shocker.
A quote from the novel: "What if love wasn't the act of finding what you were missing but the give-and-take that made you both match?"

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen - I found this one sitting on my bookshelf last summer and I wish I would've picked it up sooner! I was afraid it would be too juvenile, simply because I received the book a long time ago, but I really loved it. The book is about Macy, who is getting over the recent death of her father. Her boyfriend is away at brain camp so Macy decides to get a job at the library, where her coworkers treat her like dirt. Her boyfriend says she is being dramatic and that maybe the two of them should take a break because she is distracting him. One day, Macy notices a Wish Catering van, which catered a party her mom threw. There she meets Wes, who she learns she has a lot in common with. She also meets Kristy who becomes a good friend. I liked the ending of this book because it was so uplifting.
A quote from the novel: "It's just that... I just think that some things are meant to be broken. Imperfect. Chaotic. It's the universe's way of providing contrast, you know? There have to be a few holes in the road. It's how life is."

I hope you take a look at the two books, dear readers, and that you enjoy your Saturday! As of today we've reached 30 followers, wohoo! I can't wait to introduce some guest bloggers soon so if you like some of these posts, please feel free to follow this blog by clicking the link at the end of the page. Happy reading!


6 comments:

  1. Im a new follower of yours! :) I have only read one sarah dessen book before and it didn't work out for me but I def want to give her another shot. Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michelle :)! And yeah this is the only one I've read by her so far, but I did like this particular book!

      Delete
  2. I think I have that Sarah Dessen book :) I haven't read it though.. I read two of her books so far and I'm not that big a fan. The stories just aren't that captivating for me..

    Anyway, thanks for stopping by my Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's funny; I haven't read any others, but I guess I just related to some of the stuff in this one! And of course, thanks for stopping by here as well :)!

      Delete
  3. I loved The Truth About Forever and I'm happy that you enjoyed it. The first book I read was ALONG FOR THE RIDE, which is my most favorite of all, so far. Since you enjoyed The Truth About Forever, I might as well recommend that book to you. I loved Auden and Eli :) And as you've noticed, What Happened to Goodbye is my latest. I still have Lock and Key on my shelf, and I'm planning to read it real soon. I love Sarah Dessen. Every once in a while, I pick up her books... in between reading dystopians and paranormal/fantasy books. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought The Truth About Forever was really good :)! I'll definitely have to check out Along for the Ride and some of the other ones you recommended! Thanks for the suggestions and for stopping by :)!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I love hearing from my readers :]