Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Excellent Classics



"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges.  

Although the last time I was on a classics kick was this winter and recently, I've been reading a lot of modern writers, I've been thinking about some of the great classics I've read. I'm sure many of you have already read them in school or on your own, but like myself, very few people have read all of the classics. I'm posting this list because if you have missed any of these, it's time to add them to pile! For now I'm going to provide my top five list and save the rest for future blog posts as I know when I'm presented with too many books at once I get overwhelmed and never know which ones to choose from! 

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - I read this book going into my freshman year of high school. I loved it then as did my mom and I bet that if I read it now I would appreciate it even more. The novel takes place in the first and second decades of the 20th century and is split into five episodes relating to the characters' lives. It follows an Irish-American family who live in poverty. The book starts with eleven year old Francie Nolan. This book really takes you into the world at that time and Francie, the protagonist, is easy to connect with. 
A quote from the novel: "In the future, when something comes up, you tell exactly how it happened but write down for yourself the way you think it should have happened. Tell the truth and write the story. Then you won't get mixed up. It was the best advice Francie ever got."

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte- This novel is one of my all-time favorite books. If you haven't read this novel, please do! I first read this during my junior year of high school and have read it several times since then. While the book involves two men fighting over a woman, the relationship between Catherine and Heathcliff is more intense than any modern romance I have read or seen in a movie. This book is definitely one that stays with you!  
A quote from the novel: "Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being." 

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner - This novel is super confusing so reading the Sparknotes version along with the book the first time might help (or at least, it helped me in high school!). But it's worth it because this novel is special. It uses four different points of view and follows the fall of a Southern family. 
A quote from the novel: "I never promise a woman anything nor let her know what I'm going to give her. That's the only way to manage them. Always keep them guessing. If you cant think of any other way to surprise them, give them a bust in the jaw."

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy - Thomas Hardy's books always have this wonderful mysterious feel to them and I especially loved this novel because of that trait. Eustacia Vye is definitely a character you will remember. 
A quote from the novel:  
"Though I should like Paris, I love you for yourself alone. To be your wife and live in Paris would be heaven to me; but I would rather live with you in a hermitage here than not be yours at all."

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - The Bronte sisters are my idols. Personally, I feel that anything they write is a masterpiece. The book follows Jane who lives with her cruel aunt and children at the start of the book, goes away to a charity school, then becomes a governess, where she meets Mr. Rochestor. Eventually, they fall in love, but he keeps a dark secret that threatens their relationship. 
A quote from the novel: "I would always rather be happy than dignified." 


What are some of your favorite classics? I'd love to hear about them! Thank you to all my readers and for helping the new blog grow :] Once the blog gets big enough, I'm hoping to hold some fun contests! 

  
Sunset Pier by Ð…am, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  Ð…am 

6 comments:

  1. I found your blog via a comment you left on Ann's Reading Corner. I love the classics. My favorites: Good Earth, A Separate Peace, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But there are so many others. I keep saying I'm going to go back and read some (your list is a great starting point) now that I can better appreciate them and not just because a teacher told me to read them.

    Glad I found your blog. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks so much! A Separate Peace is a great one :] I'll definitely link you into the next blog post when I mention it; thanks for reminding me! I've never read Good Earth or Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I'll definitely have to check them out.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to be re-reading The Sound And The Fury soon. I took a Faulkner class in high school and loved him but haven't read any of his books since then. I wonder if I'll enjoy it as much when I have to try to keep it all on track myself?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yeah, I've read a couple of his short stories, but I think the Sound and the Fury is the only novel I've read by him! But it was definitely nice having a teacher explain the novel to us lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wuthering Heights is one of my all time favourite books too! It's just so brilliant.

    Thanks for visiting and following my blog - I've followed back :D

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wuthering Heights is amazing! Thanks so much Laura :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I love hearing from my readers :]