Thursday, July 12, 2012

More Great Classics

end of the day by paul bica, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  paul bica 



"Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music-the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself."
- Henry Miller

As a continuation of the last post, I'd like to share more favorite classics. Although there are so many great modern books out there, there is something special about books that stand the test of time and are still easy to relate to. Here's another list of five great classics:

A Separate Peace by John Knowles - Ms. Bach, http://depressioncookies.blogspot.com/ , reminded me of this novel, which I read during my sophomore year of high school. Gene Forrester returns to his old prep school fifteen years after he graduated and looks back on the friendship he shared with his old friend Phineas (Finny) and one terrible act that changes their friendship and Gene's life forever.  
A quote from the novel:  “To keep silent about this amazing happening deepened the shock for me. It made Finny seem too unusual for – not friendship, but too unusual for rivalry” 

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Jane Austen is so good at capturing some of the pettiness that exists in human nature and at using subtle one liners. This story follows the relationship between Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy (who I think I'm in love with, even if he is a fictional character). After reading the book, I also recommend watching the movie; although movies are usually never better than the book, this film still came out really well! 
A quote from the novel: “For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?”

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen - Another comical romance (similar to Pride and Prejudice) by Jane Austen. The story follows three sisters and their relationships. I thought the film for this book was pretty well done too! 
A quote from the novel: Elinor Dashwood: I do not attempt to deny that I think very highly of him, that I... greatly esteem him... I like him.

Marianne: "Esteem him?" "Like him?" Use those insipid words again and I shall leave the room this instant.

Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy - This book is definitely heavy and the ending is shocking, but the novel is one worth reading!  
A quote from the novel: “Did it never strike your mind that what every woman says, some women may feel?”

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I know a lot of people probably already read this book in high school, but the first time I was assigned to read it, I was in my second semester of college in a class that centered on the roaring 20s. So if you haven't read this book yet or read it a long time ago and want to reread it, it's a must! Although its sad, you will never forget the mysterious Gatsby. 
A quote from the novel:  "Everyone suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known."


Stay tuned for the next post in which I'll add five more great classics to the list! What are some of the great classics you've read? I'd love to come up with a big list of all your suggestions :]. 





nuances by paul bica, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  paul bica 

8 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by my Follow Friday feature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course :)! Thanks for stopping by here as well!

      Delete
  2. Love Pride and Prejudice. Amazing book and the movie was really good as well. Jane Austen can really do no wrong for me. She is so great at capturing human nature. One of my favorite authors.

    I am also dying to re-read The Great Gatsby. I loved the subtlety of it. And also I need to refresh the story in my mind before the Baz Luhrmann film comes out.

    Btw, loved that Henry Miller quote. Really nice.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. New follower :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Pride and Prejudice is great and so true about Jane Austen :). Some of her characters are so funny. And haha, that's right, I forgot there's a Great Gatsby movie coming out! Thanks so much for stopping by here as well!

      Delete
  3. I read A Separate Peace a couple of years ago in a YA literature class I took. I'll have to think some more on the other classics I've read though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it feels like so long ago that I've read a Separate Peace, but I remember really enjoying it! And sounds good, keep me posted :)

      Delete
  4. I'm loving all your lists! I LOVE The Great Gatsby! Such a fabulous read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! But yes the Great Gatsby was awesome!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I love hearing from my readers :]