Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Children's Reading List






"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all."
— Jacqueline Kennedy
Today I finished teaching a creative workshop for children at my local library. I'm so glad I started this workshop as the kids were so enthusiastic about writing! Before I started teaching on Monday, I decided I'd compile a list of books (and authors) that I enjoyed reading when I was between the ages of 10 and 14 (the initial age range for the group). Google helped me remember many of these books. There were seven kids in the group between ages nine and eleven. Of course, some of the books on the list are geared for kids closer to age 14, while others are better for children closer to age 10. Then again, I'm twenty and I'd probably still enjoy any of the books on this list. Because of the age gap I reminded the students to ask their parents before reading any of these books. Some of them are educational, while others are simply fun reads. Here's what I came up with:


  • Judy Blume - I remember loving all of her adorable, funny books. 
  • Agatha Christie And Then There Were None - This was the first Agatha Christie book I read in seventh grade. I really enjoyed this novel and many sites online suggested that out of all her books, this one was probably best for younger (or at least, middle school aged) children. 
  • Sharon Creech Walk Two Moons - This book is probably one of the best books I have ever read (or at least that's what I thought at the time). I'd definitely recommend this novel to adults as well. 
  • Lisi Harrison The Clique Series - Probably not a book schools would use for educational purposes, but I started reading these books ninth grade (maybe I was late on the train because online it suggests middle school is an appropriate age for this book too) and went through all of them so quickly. I couldn't wait for the next ones to come out! 
  • Carolyn Keene Nancy Drew Series - I found these books in my grandparents basement (they used to be my mom's) and my grandparents suggested reading them. I'm so glad I did! The Nancy Drew books are great and I went through so many of them. 
  • C.S. Lewis The Chronicles of Narnia - I'm not sure if this one is for much younger kids (because I remember reading this in third grade) and I only read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but the series is pretty classic (and now a movie) so I figured I'd add it to the list.
  • Lois Lowry The Giver - I remember reading this in seventh grade and loving it. I'm typically not into sci-fi type books, but this was different. Whenever I ask friends about great books they read when they were younger they always reply, "I loved The Giver." I recently heard talk about a movie. 
  • L.M. Montgomery Anne of Green Gables series - I adore Anne of Green Gables. I was first introduced to her when my grandparents gave me the movies, which you have to watch if you haven't already. I can't count the number of times I have watched those movies; the films are excellent for both children and adults. Although I usually don't like reading books after already seeing the movies, I remember really liking these books as well. 
  • Marissa Moss Emma's Journal: the Story of a Colonial Girl - I used to love journal style books when I was younger  still do. Books like these are neat because you learn something about history while reading about girls who seem just like you. 
  • J.K. Rowling Harry Potter series: So I'm super late on this one since everyone has probably already read the books or seen the movies, but I had to add Harry to the list! Need I say more?
  • Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events - I think I first read this series in ninth grade, but again these books are good for middle schoolers as well. Although I wasn't a big fan of the movie (which I saw after I read the books so maybe that's why), I remember loving these books. They're so quirky and comical and I think young kids appreciate that. 

I'll be teaching creative writing workshops at two other libraries this summer as well. Does anyone have any more suggestions I can add to the list? What books did you enjoy from your childhood or enjoy reading to your children? I'd love to have a big list so keep the suggestions coming :]!  

The blog's still less than a week old and I'd love to hear from new readers so if you enjoy these posts please feel free to subscribe to my blog by clicking the follow link at the end of the page! Stay tuned for the next post in which I'll be discussing wonderful classics. 


div>Greetings from my village Majuwa :) by ` TheDreamSky, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  ` TheDreamSky 

5 comments:

  1. If you're looking for series, I really liked The Babysitters Club, and The Animporphs as a kid.

    Also, you mentioned you liked The Giver. I also loved that book and the series. There's a 4th book in the series due out in October 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh The Babysitters Club is a good one, thanks! I've never read the Animorphs, but I'll definitely look into that :] And wow, I didn't know The Giver has a series now! That's so awesome; thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. Great list! I think I read all of these books growing up except Harry P otter but, I still read it anyways lol. I also really loved The Boxcar children series and Sweet Valley High.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin :)! I've never read the Boxcar children and Sweet Valley High, but I'll add them to the list!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I love hearing from my readers :]